Saturday, February 11, 2012

REVIEW OF AMP SUGAR FREE

CAFFEINE CONTENT: 160 MILLIGRAMS PER 16 OUNCE CAN.



RATING: 6.2 OUT OF 10.


     I find it appalling, yet somehow perfectly logical and reasonable that the only Amp flavor I have yet to review is Sugar Free. And while it not an entirely different flavor, I still consider it to be different than the original Amp and should therefore review it. Based on a review by Energy Fiend, Amp Sugar Free has been improved, although the enhancements appear to be relatively marginal. This certainly would not be my first review choice, but I really needed to review something, so here goes nothing.

     Typically, when a company removes the sugar from a drink that should actually have sugar and replaces it with artificial sweeteners, it should taste awkwardly sweet and, well, artificial. Therefore, since Amp is made by Mountain Dew, I suspected it would taste similar to Diet Mountain Dew, which is one of my favorite diet sodas. As it turns out, my educated prediction was mostly accurate. It had a similar flavor to Diet Mountain Dew, but with a twist. It may have been that it was sweeter or it may just be that Amp tastes slightly different and Mountain Dew and therefore Amp Sugar Free tastes slightly different than Diet Mountain Dew. Either way, the sugar free version of the Mountain Dew on steroids has a respectable flavor.

     Now it's time to check out what lies under the hood of this amped up energy drink: 200 percent daily value of riboflavin, 200 percent daily value of niacin, 200 percent daily value of pantothenic acid, 296 milligrams of taurine, 284 milligrams of maltodextrin, 252 milligrams of guarana seed extract, 160 milligrams of caffeine, and 12 milligrams of panax ginseng extract. Amp's blend definitely needs some work. Why even bother with 12 milligrams of ginseng, or 296 milligrams of taurine (most drinks have 2,000 milligrams). Amp really needs to step their game up to compete with the best energy drinks.

     If you have been following my site for the best month or so, this is going to sound ridiculously repetitive. These types of energy drinks simply do not have the same effectiveness as they used to. This is due to the increase in my caffeine tolerance. Fortunately, I can tell you whether or not the standard consumer would be effected by this drink. My educated prediction is that it would produce a kick that is a step above Red Bull, but still not on par with a Rockstar or Monster. As for me, the effectiveness was fair at best, and it didn't really satisfy my needs. Truth be told, if I want a drink that can get me going, I'll go for a Spike Shooter.

      Amp's attempt at making a Sugar Free drink is certainly respectable, but it just doesn't have enough attributes to really push it at the top of the podium. While the flavor is easily palatable, I have had much better (and much worse) sugar free energy drinks. As with the energy blend and effectiveness, Amp has never really been the greatest at producing a solid and effective product. With that said, I believe I will pass on this one. Now, where's my Monster Lo-Carb?

2 comments:

  1. Monster Lo-Carb is my all time favorite!!! Monster Rehab a close second...or maybe they're tied...I currently have both in my fridge. I like the carbonation that's not too overwhelming in the Lo-Carb. Flavor is great. Then there's the Rehab! It's equally awesome, just not carbonated. We are blessed to have these choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Rehab is one of the tastiest energy drinks I've ever tried, and Monster Lo-Carb has a nice flavor despite using artificial sweeteners.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what YOU think about this product!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...