Friday, October 29, 2010

REVIEW OF PROVITA

CAFFEINE CONTENT: UNKNOWN. 


RATING: 7.3 OUT OF 10.


Coming from Plano, Texas this 2.9 ounce shot contains a massive 42 grams of protein from hydrolyzed collagenic protein isolate, whey protein isolate, and casein protein isolate. It actually contains an unheard of (for this size of a drink) 170 calories. Recently I have become a fan of protein shakes, but never got any because they were too expensive. Thanks to this blog, and to the fine folks at Provita, I received two 12 packs for free. My real concern was in the flavor. 42 grams of protein is seriously a lot. Even the protein powders you see at GNC usually don't pack that much. Provita has managed to cram it into 2.9 ounces of liquid, which gets me thinking how many ounces is equal to 42 grams? As it turns out 42 grams is about 1.5 ounces. And the other 1.4 ounces is water, caffeine, taurine, and 17 vitamins and minerals. So what happens to the flavor when a drink is basically half protein. The first thing I noticed was the thickness. It has the consistency of a smoothie so slamming it quickly wasn't easy. I also noticed an overwhelming sweetness to try to mask the protein flavor. Thankfully this was only 3 ounces because I'm not sure I could handle more. I will give them credit for creating a palatable beverage that jams in that much protein. If this was even an 8 ounce energy drink, I would dump about half of it down the sink. Sorry, but it really isn't my cup of tea. The energy blend is primarily a mixture of 1,194 milligrams of taurine, caffeine, and l-trytophan, which is the ingredient that explains why people get sleepy after eating a lot of turkey. It also contains 17 vitamins and minerals: vitamin a, vitamin c, vitamin d3, vitamin e, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin b6, folic acid, vitamin b12, biotin, pantothenic acid, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, chromium, and sodium. Not to mention it has nearly unpronounceable ingredients such as cholecalciferol and retinyl acetate. And while were at it, what in the world is cholecalciferol and retinyl acetate. According to Wikipedia, cholecalciferol is vitamin d3. Ok, that explains that one in a huge way. Retinyl acetate is vitamin a. So these are just fancy names for vitamins, kind of like cyanocobalamin and pyridoxine hydrochloride are vitamins b12 and b3 respectively. The caffeine content is masks beneath the cup of coffee nonsense. Seriously, coffee can vary from 60 to 200 milligrams according to Mayo Clinic. Regardless of what the caffeine content is, this worked like a charm. I found myself playing outside more often than inside. When I played basketball, I noticed that I had more energy and was less tired. It actually lasted quite a while, coming close to the advertised 6 hours. My only complaint with this drink is the foul flavor. 7.3 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what YOU think about this product!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...